Sunday, December 22, 2019

Discipleship, Advent, living in perfect peace

This morning we are considering the second advent theme of peace. If we fully embrace the hope (last day) as an anchor to the soul it will stabilize and fortify us, and bring us to peace. Ultimately though, peace is the gift of God,  of which and there are two aspects, peace with God and the peace of God. Paul tells us that being justified by faith we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ (Romans 5:1). Before salvation we were His enemies (verse 10), now we are adopted sons and daughters, and joint heirs with Christ (Romans 8:15 - 17). Secondly there is the peace that God gives in the here and now. Jesus tells us “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you, ” and like any gift, peace has to be received,  and we receive it by not letting our “hearts be troubled and do not being afraid” (John 14:27). Most of us find that last part, the thing we need to do to receive His peace, easier said than done. But with His help, all things are possible.

Being a Hebrew Jesus would have the Hebrew concept of peace (shalom). Shalom includes our idea of peace which can mean little more than the cessation of hostilities. But the shalom that God gives also includes harmony, wholeness, completeness, prosperity, welfare and tranquility. And God promises to keep in perfect shalom (not just shalom), those whose mind is stayed on Him, those who trust in Him (Isaiah 26:3). I don't know your circumstances this morning, but even if you are in relative peace, you will likely know someone whose situation could rightly be described as dire. But for all of us, claiming God's shalom is about learning to look past the circumstances, to the One who holds all these things in His hands, and who has promised to work all things for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purposes (Romans 8:28).

I have said this before, that when I find myself in situation where I am either in danger of loosing, or have already lost, my peace, I work the passage Philippians 4:4-8. It's a promise that when I follow this recipe, His peace will guard my heart and mind (verse 7). And what I do, is firstly to choose to rejoice in the Lord. I can rejoice that my name is written in the Lamb's book of life, if for nothing else (verse 4). Secondly I can choose to be gentle to all, and repent if I have blown it (verse 5). I then choose to replace my anxiety and fear with all kinds of prayer and request, not forgetting to be thankful (verse 6). I need to cultivate a thankful heart, and there are always things I can thank Him for, for example Jesus and salvation. Finally I choose to set my mind steadfastly on, to meditate on, whatever is good noble praiseworthy etc. (verse 8). In other words I work this passage, and repeat as necessary, praying and asking for His help and reminding Him of His promise of perfect peace.

Father, once again this morning I resign as caretaker of the Universe. I choose to trust You Lord, and to turn my eyes on Jesus the the author and finisher of my faith (Hebrews 12:2). And I pray Lord for Your shalom for others for whom this season is so very, very difficult. Thank You Lord for Your Grace and Mercy and shalom in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment