Thursday, March 12, 2020

And these signs will follow those who believe

This verse (17) is taken from a disputed part of Mark's Gospel (16:9-20). It is even omitted in some translations. But perhaps what is most important here,  is that what is written in  section, is confirmed in other parts of the Scripture, parts that are undisputed. In particular concerning the signs listed here in verses 17 and 18, we are in essence looking at the authority Jesus gives us “to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you” (Luke 10:19). In addition,   Jesus commanded the eleven,  and us through them,  to Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons, and He adds “freely you have received, freely give” (Matthew 10:8; 28:20). And of course the book of Acts testifies to the truth of these claims. 

Some dispute that signs and wonders are for today. They teach that these things passed away with the completion of the New Testament. But quite apart from the fact that any supposed Biblical proof of this is spurious, Church history records that miracles were, and are, ongoing. Of course if you believe that these things passed away, you have to condemn all such assurances as either fake, or of the devil. And, well they do! Now I do not deny that there are such things as lying sign and wonders (2 Thessalonians 2:9). What is interesting though, is that while Satan can produce false signs, he cannot produce the fruit, and “it is by their fruit that you shall know them” (Matthew 7:16-20; Galatians 5:22, 23).

Part of the problem is that many lack the experience, in other words they have not seen miracles. And part of this is a crisis of expectation (faith). For if we don't believe we don't ask, and if we don't ask we don't receive. Or if we do ask we ask with wrong motives, and God will not give His glory to another (James 4:2, 3; Isaiah 42:8). In my seeking and searching I went on two short term mission trips to India with Randy Clerk.  And  I saw many,  many miracles there. They are much more open to them there. I mean the poor are rich in faith (James 2:5). Randy invites people to go on such mission trips and over and over the “little old me's” discover that God can use even them, even me,  to heal.

Father, I want to thank You for the fruit of the miraculous in our day. I want to thank You for the miracles You have used me for, and for the miracles You have performed on my body. I was even thanking You this morning for healing my knees and my arthritis. Lord not everybody I pray for gets healed, but most people are grateful that I prayed. I don't pretend to understand this, but I will not let the experience of some not getting healed prevent me from praying. If I don't pray nobody gets healed. When I pray some get healed,  and I thank  and praise You for this Lord,  and I give You the glory in Jesus Name Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment