Sunday, March 22, 2020

Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean

A man who was full of leprosy had seen Jesus, came and fell at His feet saying the words in this morning's title from Luke 5:12. Leprosy of course is the infectious disease that causes severe, disfiguring skin sores and nerve damage in the arms, legs, and skin areas around the body. Lepers were required to call out “Unclean, unclean” whenever they approached anyone or vice versa. And this man was disobedient in even approaching Jesus. Also, according to the Law anyone who touched a leper was also unclean, but the very next thing that Jesus did was to touch him. He then told the man He was willing and He healed him (verse 13). I was not immediately sure why the Lord had underlined verse 12 for me this morning, but when I read the story again the fact that Jesus touched this man when He was not supposed to stood out to me.

In some rather cruel experiments years ago, certain newborns were deliberately not touched, and they died. The need for human touch it huge, though for various reasons as adults we may not be “touchy feely.” I mean there are those who hug, and those who don't. I am a hugger, but am very aware of others need to be touched. And of course at this time of testing with the whatsit virus, the recommended “social distance” of two meters, is very difficult for some. Touching elbow to elbow has somehow caught on, and at least at this point always seems to produce a smile. I am not sure if it is embarrassment apologizing for not being willing to hug or shake hands, or knuckles to knuckles as with the younger generation. But even elbow to elbow seems to be significant.

And in the circles I move in hugs are almost mandatory and how are we to respond to all of this. Jesus touched the one who was unclean. He had faith that the infection would not stick to Him. I heard a story the other day, I don't have the details, but it was of someone who had told them to put the virus/disease on his hand and they had watched it die. I have no idea if this is a true story or not, but I do know of the Lord telling a certain well know preacher to touch someone he would rather not have touched. Where does this leave us? I am not going to make that decision for you. I hardly know what it is for myself!  What we must do is to respect others desire not to be touched, be it this time, or not!

Father, there certainly seems to be overreaction to what is going on now. We must not give in to fear, but we do need to be sensible. And whether is it complete isolation or not, whether it is to hug or not to hug, or to hug some and not others, make it very clear to us Lord. And keep us looking up at this time, for this too shall pass, in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment