Saturday, March 7, 2020

Sacrifice to God thanksgiving .....

...... fulfill your vows to the Most High, Call upon Me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify Me” (Psalm 50:6, 7). The concepts of thanksgiving and praise, and of glory and honour, are closely linked to each other, but also together in Scripture. In particular the word translated here as thanksgiving, is translated praise in verse 23 (NKJV). But it is also translated as thanksgiving elsewhere. The NIV translates 23a as “Those who sacrifice thank offerings honour me,” while the NKJV translates it as “Whoever offers praise glorifies Me.” There things are, of course because the Hebrew words have both of the respective meanings. But the two concepts are also linked in the New Testament. I quote “because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools” (Romans 1:21, 22). Paul is saying here that the slippery slope to reprobation, the process of a person becoming unprincipled or depraved, starts by failing to be thankful, and by not glorifying God.

This is pretty scary, I mean who has not been there at times? I certainly have. And I am thankful this morning that I don't have to earn my salvation by being perfect in this, or any other way. But what these thoughts are doing this morning, is brining my attention how important are thanksgiving and praise and honouring and glorifying God. In particular, to fail to do these things is the start of a darkened mind. It is interesting to me that the Bible talks of thanksgiving and praise in terms of sacrifice. Under the old Covenant of course they were actual costly sacrifices on the alter. A sacrifice could consist of bull or a sheep. But there is a real sense in which in times of difficulty and distress that it costs us to give thanks and praise, because many times we might not feel like it! Choosing to give thanks at such times certainly feels like a sacrifice.

But the alternative is to wallow in negativity and self pity. And the attitude that pleases God is that of Job who, when his wife told him to curse God and die (Job 2:9). Job refuses saying “Shall we indeed accept good from God, and shall we not accept adversity?” And in all this Job did not sin with his lips (verse 10). The Joseph story too shows how with God's help we are able to rise above the circumstances. And the Christian is commanded to count it all joy when we find ourselves in manifold and diverse trials (James 1:2).

Father, these things are very challenging, and I find myself needing to repent again this morning for allowing the trails of life to take away my joy. I need Your help Father, please restore the joy of my salvation, and grant me a thankful heart to praise honour and glorify You in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment