Sunday, April 19, 2020

Hope deferred makes the heart sick

..... but a desire fulfilled is a tree of life. Whoever despises the Word brings destruction on himself, but he who reveres the commandment will be rewarded (Proverbs 13:12, 13). The two proverbs from this morning's readings go together well. Both are relevant to a world that wants what it wants, and wants it now, and that wants to do what it wants do, without regard to the consequences. In addition both proverbs encourage us to take the long view,  both in terms of the here and now and eternity. With regard to the first proverb, delayed answers to a promise that one has set one's heart on is difficult for both the mature and the immature. Bob Storge speaks of delayed answers that they test us like a fire. I know well what he is talking about as I have been waiting for the fulfillment of a promise for over two decades. David's heart was sick, because the people had spoken of stoning him in their distress at finding their city burned, and their loved ones carried off. But David encouraged himself in the Lord and hope revived (1 Samuel 30:1-8).

Trust in, and obedience to, the Word is important in both proverbs. When our heart is sick because of the delay we, like David, need to strengthen ourselves in the Lord and in His Word. When I am discouraged, as I was this morning, I go to the promises He has underlined for me. And my mind went to Psalm 126:6 “He who continually goes forth weeping, bearing seed for sowing, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.” And even as I write and meditate on these things, I am feeding on His faithfulness. And hope revives as I read in verses 1 and 2  “When the LORD restored the fortunes of Zion, we were like those who dream. Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with shouts of joy.” This is surly what it means that it is a tree of life!

In light of this, the two proverbs together speak fo me of the provision and the protection that is the lot of the one who follows hard after God's own heart. I have often used Galatians 6:7 in terms of the negative, but reaping and sowing is both positive and negative (see verse 8). And the agricultural picture stresses the long term in both aspects. In particular we can seem to get away with it for a while, in terms of reaping what we sow from our disobedience. I know this too, and I can thank God for this law or sowing and reaping in both the positive and the negative. In terms of the negative, it was reaping the consequences of my sinful choices that brought me to Him in the first place. And it is the increasing fullness of life, and the assurance that He is working all things together for my good, that keeps me trusting, keeps me hoping, keeps me believing that in the here and now I will in His time come rejoicing, and in eternity enjoy pleasures at His right hand forevermore.

Father, I want to thank You this morning, that You not only know what I need as I come to You day by day, but You are also able to pull it out from the day's readings. You are amazing Lord and I love You and I praise and bless You in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment