Thursday, April 9, 2020

The eternal God is your refuge

..... And underneath are the everlasting arms; He will thrust out the enemy from before you, and .... Israel shall dwell in safety (Deuteronomy 33:27, 28). Note, not just God, but the eternal God. And it reminds us that we need to take an eternal perspective on whatever we are going through. Paul could say that compared to the glory that it to be revealed, even his many trials were light and momentary (2 Corinthians 11:28; 4:17). In the meantime God is our dwelling place, our habitation. He is our safe place, and He wants our encounter with Him to be a habitation, not a visitation. Underneath are the everlasting arms, He is our safely net, and not only is He safe but in love and affection, He is ready to catch us when we fall. And when we make Him our refuge, He will drive out the enemy and we shall dwell in safety.

I woke this morning after a dream. I was bringing the budgie bird I used to own (I called him Bird, he was free to fly in the house) on a long journey home. I was holding him in my hand, because He was used to flying free in the house, but it was not safe to fly outside. He struggled and struggled at first, and he bit me, so I had to hold him tighter so he could not do that. After a while he stopped struggling and I was able to hold him relatively loosely and he relax and I spoke tenderly to him, “soon be home Bird.” Jacob in the midst of his most intense struggles told the Lord “I will not let you go until you bless me” (Genesis ), but actually, once we have made the commitment it is He who will not let us go. Paul could say that he was persuaded that He was able to keep that which he had committed unto him against day. However like Bird in my hand, when we struggle for whatever reason, He needs to hold us tighter. And when we relax, we can enjoy the view and see things we have never seen before.

And like I spoke words of comfort to Bird in my dream, the Lord is wanting to speak words of comfort and encouragement to us. But we will not be able to hear as long as we are fighting what He has allowed. But I believe He is also telling me, and you though this, that there is soon coming a time when it will be safe to fly again. And what that there are things on this present journey that we will not see at any other time. So that if we will relax and trust Him to take us through it, we will be able to truly fly in the Spirit. Paul talks about the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, We can't really have the one without the other, and there can be no resurrection without a death. And fear in particular needs to die at this time!

Father thank You that when we stop fighting the people, circumstance and restrictions that You allow we, like Bird in the dream can catch a glimpse of Heaven in the here and now. Thank You that You give us safe places to fly in the here and now, and that heaven we will have freedom that cannot be compared even to what is available here. Please give us Paul's perspective on our suffering in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment