Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Be of good courage

....  and He shall strengthen your heart, all you who hope in the LORD (Psalm 31:24). Wikipedia says this about courage “Courage is the choice and willingness to confront agony, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation. Physical courage is bravery in the face of physical pain, hardship, death or even the threat of death, while moral courage is the ability to act rightly in the face of popular opposition, shame, scandal, discouragement, or personal loss.  The command to be of good courage is all over Scripture (i.e Joshua 1:6,9,18). The promise to have our hearts strengthened (as here) is contingent in Psalm 27:14 on our waiting on Him (also as here) in hope. There is no instant fix we are to let patience (perseverance) have its perfect ongoing work (James 1:4).  Notice the partnership here with the Lord. He will strengthen our hearts when we take courage and determine to wait on Him in hope.

There's a saying that without God man cannot, without man God will not. It's not Scripture, but there's truth in it, as there is in the saying “God helps them what helps themselves” In other words God comes along side of those who are willing to take responsibility for “their side of the street.”  The only hesitation I have with these sayings is that God is God,  and He can do what He wants.  And sometimes (thank God) He intervenes to help us in our helplessness! And the hesitation I have in saying this, is that God is not an enabler of our dysfunction! One commentary gives the title “Stress” to the the Psalm from which this morning's quote is taken. He entitles verses 1-8 as “The hunted man.”  Perhaps this was written about  the time that David was fleeing for his life from King Saul who was determined to kill him. Verses 9-24 are entitled “The rejected man.” Each section however, ends in triumph with David testifying “You have not shut me up into the hand of the enemy; You have set my feet in a wide place (verse 8), and “You heard the voice of my supplications When I cried out to You. Oh, love the LORD, all you His saints! For the LORD preserves the faithful (verses 22, 23).

And it it out of this experience that David admonishes us with this morning's verse. I don't know what you might be going through this morning, but what I do know, is that the Lord wants us to face our difficulties with courage and trust, and with verse 23, He wants us to be faithful. I was reminded of one of His many promises to me this morning, that when I have strengthened my weak hands,
made firm my feeble knees, and with His help to say to my fearful-heart “Be strong, do not fear,” then He will come with the recompense of God, He will come and save me (Isaiah 35:3, 4).

Father, as I continue to wait on You in hope, and as I continue to take courage,  I can already testify with David “Oh, how great is Your goodness, which You have laid up for those who fear You, which You have prepared for those who trust in You in the presence of the sons of men"  (verse 19). Indeed Lord I know and believe that in Your time You will make all things beautiful in my life (Ecclesiastes 3:11). And I thank and praise You in advance in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment