Tuesday, August 4, 2020

One thing I have desired of the LORD,

.... That will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in His temple (Psalm 27:4). There was a saying I used to hear quite often years ago, accusing Christians of being so heavenly minded we are no earthly good. And no doubt it is true of some. But one of my heroes Heidi Baker, speaks that after time spent in the presence of God, you can accomplish more in one hour, than eighteen years in your own strength. This is particularly relevant in our busy, busy world, where we rush around from one thing to another, and have no time for anything, especially God. The story of Mary and Martha (Luke 10:38-42). Martha was distracted with much serving, Mary was sitting at Jesus feet and Martha wanted Jesus to rebuke her. Jesus told her “one thing is necessary,” and “Mary has chosen the good part.”

We can be distracted by many things, fear, lust greed, pride, worry etc. David was not living a cloistered life, and if anyone had things to worry about it was David. Yet in seeking God as “one thing,” he could declare “Though an army may encamp against me, my heart shall not fear, ... even then will I be confident (verse 3). And “In the time of trouble .... my head shall be lifted up above my enemies” (verses 5a, 6a). “Therefore” he says “I will offer sacrifice of joy, ... I will sing praises to the Lord” (verse 6). It may seem counter intuitive to sing praises in times of trouble, but it is a powerful weapon of our spiritual warfare. In his seeking, you could almost think David had heard Jesus words “Seek first His Kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you” (Matthew 6:33).

The phrase “sacrifice of joy” is interesting. In times of trouble likely joy is the last thing on our hearts. I mean I don't feel like it, do you? Well, that's why it is a sacrifice! And as I sought the Lord again this morning, I needed to hear again this familiar refrain “My brethren, count it pure joy whenever you face trials of many kinds, knowing that the testing of your faith produces perseverance” (James 1:2,3). And I needed again to choose perseverance and trust.

Father, under the Old Covenant the presence of God was in just one place, the temple. Under the New Covenant I have Christ in me the hope of Glory. You are beautiful Lord, and as I enquire about the things that concern me, and as I choose again this morning to seek You and Your Kingdom first, I claim again Your promise that You will perfect the things that concern me (Psalm 138:8). Thank You Lord for the necessary reminder of these things. And I praise and bless You Lord, and I receive Your joy in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment