Thursday, August 20, 2020

Though I speak with the tongues of men

.... and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing (1 Corinthians 13:1-3). Whatever my gifts,  talents, abilities, good deeds, beauty, wealth, success,  everything the world values, all these without love are empty, vain and  devoid of meaning,  worthless. It's not my opinion, it's the Word of God.  It's telling us what God thinks about it all, and where He wants us to put our priorities, namely love.

But it is not the love the World speaks about so glibly, not distinguishing it from lust. The Greek word is not the one used for erotic love, it is the word used in “God so love the World that He gave His only son  so that we would not perish” (John 3:16). It is  God's undeserved, extravagant, unconditioned love. This love places the same value on the one who has totally blown it, is defiled,  messed up, has betrayed.  This one has the same value to the Father as Jesus. A thousand dollar bill that has been wrinkled,  torn and muddied until almost unrecognizable, this bill has the same value as one fresh from the mint. Likewise,  no matter how much we have blown it, we are still recognizable to God, since we are stamped with His image.   And that image is indelible, impossible to remove, erase, or wash away; permanent.  

The quality and depth if this love is demonstrated in that while we were yet sinners, shaking as it were,  our fists in God's face, this love died for us while we were still in that state.  This love is strong enough to let us go if that is what we choose. But this love also calls us to love the same way if we choose to respond to Him and receive His free gift of eternal life.  And this love suffers long and is kind; this love does not envy; does not parade itself, is not proud or arrogant;  does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not easily  provoked, thinks no evil;  does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; this love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things (verses 4-7). This love is a supernatural love.  And we can only love this way when we are vitally connected to the One for whom this love is His very Nature (1 John 4:8).  We don't get there by trying, we get there by total surrender, dying to self, and with His help living for Him who loved us and gave Himself for us (2 Corinthians 5:15).

Father, please reveal to me more of Your love, so that in experiencing it I may be more of a channel for Your love to this wicked and hurting world. Help me Lord to bear with the weak, believe the best of others until the evidence clearly points to the opposite, and even then help me to endure.  But help me to love wisely with good boundaries and to act in such a way that will lead others to repentance. And I will give You the glory in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment