Sunday, February 7, 2021

Cain rose up and slew his brother: Two humanities

 They say more evil is committed by those who are perfectly sure they know what they are doing! God had asked Cain why he was angry (Genesis 4:6). The question was for Cain's benefit, not God's. Trials difficulties and temptations come to humble us, and to expose what's in our hearts (Deuteronomy 8:2). The fourth step of twelve-step-programs is to make a fearless moral inventory of ourselves. The steps all have a Biblical basis, this one is based on the admonition to examine ourselves (introspection – 1 Corinthians 11:28; 2 Corinthians 13:5; Galatians 6:4). Doing this could have changed Cain's destiny!

In the midst of my first marriage breaking up, I had been so convinced she was evil, that I had murder in my heart. What's scary for me, is that I am not at all sure I would not have followed through if I thought I could have gotten away with it (I didn't by the way)! It lead to my conversion when Holy Spirit showed me that I too was far from guiltless that,  and Jeremiah 17:9. It reads “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; Who can know it?” 

Most of our behaviour, especially our so called goodness,  is shaped and formed in us by rewards and punishments, in other words by behaviour modification.  From his observations during his imprisonment,  and the horrors and inhumanity in the Gulag Archipelago, Russia's notorious prison, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote “The line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties -- but right through every human heart -- and through all human hearts.”  Part of what this means, as I had  discovered, is that each and every one of us, given the right or perhaps the wrong circumstances, is  capable of the most heinous of crimes. As I said our goodness is conditioned. Jesus put it these way “only God is good,” elsewhere “there is none righteous, no, not one” (Mark 10:18; Romans 3:10).

Many who seek to work the steps in twelve-step-programs, quit at the above mentioned fourth step. The reason I believe is that they come face to face with what we are discussing this morning,  and the truth is just too much to bear (John 16:12). This is especially true if we don't know that we can flee to Jesus for refuge (Hebrews 6:18). Through His sacrifice on the Cross,  He gives us His righteousness in exchange for our sin (2 Corinthians 5:21). This salvation is a gift that needs to be received (Romans 6:23). You are either righteous by faith or you are lost (Philippians 3:9)!

It was by faith that Abel offered to God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, and  like Abraham through his faith he was declared to be  righteous  (Hebrews 11:4; Romans 4:3). There are two humanities, two condition of mankind, that of Cain (dead in trespasses and sins – Ephesians 2:1) and that of AbeI (righteous by faith). Which one are you?

Father,  I had gone the way of Cain and messed up my life completely. You waited to be gracious to me, so that You could   rescue me (Isaiah 30:18). You clothed me with a rob of righteousness, so that I would not be found naked at Your appearing (Isaiah 61:10; 2 Corinthians 5:3). My prayer is that at my testimony many may see and fear and put their trust in You (Psalm 40:3).  Thank You Lord for my salvation, I'm forever grateful in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment