Tuesday, February 23, 2021

The God who speaks: “Now the LORD had said to Abram

....” (Genesis 12:1).  I can't resist saying “He speaks, therefore I AM” (I know “I AM” exists [Exodus 3:14],  because He speaks to me).  But seriously,  if you tell someone today that God speaks to you, they are likely to lock you up.  Certainly lunatics have claimed to hear Him. I read that surprisingly many people claim God told them to murder someone.  But this can't be the God of the Bible, since  “You  shall not murder” (Exodus 20:13).  The three persons of the Trinity talk to each other (Let US ...   Genesis 1:25; 11:7 etc.).  So should it be so surprising that the self communicating God, should communicate with His creation?   There need to be checks and balances of course, and we are to test all things (1 Thessalonians 5:21). First and foremost He will not contradict His Word. He will not tell you to divorce our wife, for  example,  so that You can marry another (Matthew 19:9).

Jesus tells us that His sheep hear and know His voice. He is the good shepherd (John 10: 26, 14, 4). He knows His  sheep (His disciples – the ones who follow and obey Him), He call us by name and we are His. When we follow Him and learn to hear His voice, we do not listen to the voice of the stranger, the thief the one who comes to kill steal and destroy (verses 5, 10).  New converts tend to know His voice immediately, but are often intimidated into silence by others,  even Christians, I was!. Many  don't really have a relationship with Him, but it's what salvation is really all about.  We can't really follow Him if we don't know His voice.

God speaks to us primarily in and through His Word. Most of us who read the Bible have this experience of a verse or passage standing out to us. This is usually the Holy Spirit illuminating it and saying to pay attention.  Hearing His voice and obeying are closely related, we suppress the truth by unrighteousness (Romans 1:18).  Our own desires can lead us astray (James 1:14). Sometime we have to learn the voice of the stranger by our mistakes.  Then we need to confess and ask the Lord to teach us. In the end it is all about following. As with Noah and Abram,  following and obeying often goes against the stream. We must not be conformed to the World, we are to take up our cross in this way and follow Him (Romans 12:1; Mark 8:34). But to him who has more will be given (Matthew 29:25)! In other words when we hear and obey,  we will hear more often,  and more clearly! To learn more, I recommend Mark Virkler's Youtube videos.

Lord Jesus, You are my shepherd; I shall not want. You feed me with Your Word and You quiet and refresh my soul. Thank Your Lord. You lead me in  paths of righteousness to glorify Your name. Even in the dark and difficult times I will not be afraid,  for You have promised never to leave me nor forsake me. You correct me when I go astray,  and Your  discipline comforts me. In Your time You will cause my righteousness to shine like the sun. You fill my cup with peace and joy, I will drink of Your goodness all the days of my life,  and I will spend eternity with You. I thank and pause and honour and glorify You Lord, in Your precious Name Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment