Sunday, August 27, 2017

Man’s chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy Him forever

The scriptural basis for this quotation from the shorter Westminster confession, can be found in Ephesians 1:11,12. Part of what this means is that we were designed to glorify God, and that fulfillment will only fully occur when our hearts and minds are in sync with Him and His purposes.

If you think about it, you wouldn’t try to paint a house with an artist's brush, and for the most part you wouldn’t try to paint a work of art with a roller designed to paint walls. I say for the most part, because I don’t rule this out as a possibility, but I have to say that a lot of modern art leaves me cold! But I think you know the point I’m trying to make!

From the beginning we have rebelled against this. Somehow it offends our pride and our sense of free will, to be expected to conform to someone else’s agenda, even if it’s God’s. But as a loving earthly father knows many times, what is good for his child, so our heavenly Father knows what is best for us, and what will ultimately make us happy.

The world tells us that freedom and fulfillment come from casting off restraint, from being able to do anything that we want. But, as the alcoholic knows very well, a big part of freedom is the ability to be able to choose not to do certain things. And part of our rebellion is that we think we know better than the One who spoke and stars were flung into space! Most of us have to learn the hard way, that His ways are best, and that life works best within the constraints that He calls us to embrace.

In my own case, it was only after having suffered the consequences of my own rebellious choices, and in fact having come to the end of myself, that I was willing to try it His way. The Scripture says “Taste and see that the Lord is good” (Psalm 34:8). I did, and I do, and I will do, and I can tell you that He is indeed good! Having lived on both sides of the track, I know well that His ways are best!

Father help me, by your Spirit, to continue to put to death the deeds and the desires of the flesh, so that I may truly glorify You, and so enter more fully into the joy and enjoyment of an intimate relationship with You. In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment