Sunday, February 4, 2018

As much as is possible with you, live at peace with all men (Romans 12:18)

Relationships are one of the hardest, if not the hardest thing in life. Part of the problem, is that I cannot control the reaction or the response of others. In particular, we cannot make up in a relationship, for what the other person is either unable or unwilling to give. And sometimes it’s not safe to try to reconnect, for example when there is the ongoing possibility of abuse. But we do need to realize, that living at peace with others, and seeking to reconcile broken relationships, is at the heart of our reconciling God (Ephesians 1:10).

We see this perhaps most clearly in the story of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32). Witness the longing of the father as he sees his son coming home from afar. So he must have been looking out for him day after day, month after month possibly year after year. Witness also, his attempt to reconcile the older and the younger sons. The father goes the proverbial second mile with both of his sons. But he doesn’t try to force reconciliation. He goes the second mile and then he waits.

The Lord has promised, that when our ways please Him, He will make even our enemies to be at peace with us (Proverbs 16:7). I have seen this promise fulfilled at least two times in my career, as I had offended two colleagues on two separate occasions. In both cases it took years, but the Lord is faithful, and this gives me hope for full reconciliation in other relationships for which I am still in the waiting period.

Father, I need to know when I have done all that is within me in this process of seeking to make peace. In the past I have operated out of peace at any price, but the resulting cessation of hostilities was not the shalom peace You speak of in Your Word. But I also know, that You have purpose in the waiting period, and my part is to seek to please You in all my ways. In this as in all things, I need You. Thank You Lord for my reconciliation with You, thank You that I never need to fear Your rejection. And I give You all the honour, glory and praise again this morning in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment