Friday, February 16, 2018

I am the only one I can change I

I am wondering how many arguments would be avoided, how much tension dissipated, how many marriages would be saved if we only took the attitude expressed in the title of this morning’s post. I don’t have an explicit verse to persuade you of the truth of the statement, but I do have a verse that counters the attitude that so often lies behind our attempts to change others. It is “In humility, let each one consider others better than themselves” (Philippians 2:3).

I’m not suggesting that others don’t need to be changed, but as I keep pointing out it’s so much easier to see the other person’s fault, than it is to see our own. And what we don’t realize, is that many times the other person is reacting to our faults. And when this is the case, and I deal with mine, then the grounds for their reaction is removed.

The key thing here, is humility! So many things flow out of its lack in a person. In particular, too often when we are attempting to change another person, we are by our actions saying I know best what needs to be changed, and how to affect that change. It is likely by nagging, and it is far too easily self-righteous nagging! So one of the things we need to ask ourselves is “Do I like to be nagged?” And if not, we need to cease and desist nagging others.

Father, whether the statement at the head of this post is true or not, my own experience of trying to change others has too often backfired. And since I have not yet arrived in terms of humility, I am asking you this morning to help me with this. There is a sense in which I cannot even change myself, but I do know that when I bring these things to You, and cooperate with You, then somehow working together the changes start to come. Thank You Lord, that though You are persistent, You are merciful and gentle and do not nag! Thank You Lord, that even with all my faults, I am nevertheless accepted in the Beloved (Ephesians 1:6 NKJV) in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment