Sunday, August 12, 2018

Better to be the best for the world, than to be the best in the world

The spirit of competition is alive and well and living on planet earth. And in the right context, it can be a good thing. I mean friendly competition can give us the encouragement to excel. But it can also be toxic, leading to pride, envy, hate and even sabotage (I am thinking of some of the things that have happened at the Olympics).

On the other hand I remember a famous athlete (don’t remember his name) saying that he thought everyone should compete to get to the top of something. His point is because when you get to the top, you realize that the top is empty. It seems that many in this situation have found Christ after getting to the top of their game. And this happened because the fading crown does not bring the lasting satisfaction hoped for, and (they say) only Jesus is worth giving your all for! I agree!

As I write, I am on my way back from a prophetic conference where at one stage I was tempted to be discouraged. Some of these guys (and gals) are so far ahead of me it is not funny. One person can play 40 different musical instruments, and that is just the tip of the iceberg of all that he is involved in and has accomplished. And I was tempted to tell myself “I could never be like that.” Of course, I was never intended to be like that, and I have learned to embraced the wisdom of the Scripture when it says that if we each measure ourselves by ourselves, and compare ourselves among ourselves, we are not wise (2 Corinthians 10:12). The title of this post was one of the things that was spoken at the conference, and it resonated with me. I can be the best me for the World and for my Lord. That is more than enough for Him, and that is all that matters!

Father, each and every one of us is unique and has a unique part to play in life (1 Corinthian 12:7). So we might not be able to be the best in the World at this or that, in fact You never called us to that, but I can be the very best me, and that pleases you greatly. But this is not about striving. As a Father with his precious child, You are pleased with us just because we are Your sons and daughters. It’s all about being ourself and pressing in to relationship with You, knowing we are a favourite son or daughter. And it’s all about celebrating who we are in You, in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment