Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Is the loss of material possessions tragic?

It is interesting and sometimes heart wrenching to observe how different people react to material loss. I am here this morning in Redding California just days after the Carr Fire swept through parts of Redding leaving many people homeless, having lost everything in the fire. I volunteered yesterday in a distribution centre in the time before the conference I came here for, started. There were several deaths due to the fire, but most of those who I encountered at the distribution centre where I volunteered, had either lost their homes, or if the homes were not burned, were still not allowed back in.

Some people were able to be quite philosophical about having lost everything. What was most precious was saved (no family member was lost). For others it was tragic and their pain and was evident. And I got to reflecting on my own journey. From many years now I have been telling the Lord that my money is His money. The point was and is to help me let go, the plan being when things go wrong financially to tell Him that if He want to be foolish with His money, then that's His problem.

It is still amazing to me how easily we deceive ourselves especially when it comes to money. When I told Him my money was His money apparently I had lied. This was revealed to me by a series of financial difficulties where I would start to stress, and I was in danger of loosing my peace. So He asked me “If this is my money, why are you so stressed?” And in this way as I repented He was able to pry open my little hand.

Father, there are many losses, and the things we treasure can so easily become idols. And I want to pray this morning Lord for all those reading this, and those who have suffered loss in this carr fire here in Redding that You will meet them in their loss, help them to grieve the loss in and healthy way and let it draw them to You in Jesus Name Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment