Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Let us therefore be do our best, be diligent and hasten to enter that rest

In many ways this morning’s post continues yesterday’s, as my heart grieves for those who are tortured and constantly wrestling in their striving to live the Christian life. While there are implications for our rest in hereafter, the rest that it is spoken of in this quote from Hebrews 4:11, is I think primarily rest in the here and now. There seems to be three things that hinder entering into this rest. The first is “They do not know my ways" (Hebrews 3:10), the second having an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God (Hebrews 3:12), and the last hardness of heart (Hebrews 3:15).

We are not meant to strive! And if we are striving, then likely one of the above three things is true of us. And countering these things starts with repentance. If we do not know His ways, then we will need to get our nose into "God’s feedbag," the Word of God. It is not enough just to go to church on Sundays. Just as we need food every day to live, so we need spiritual food every day to rise above the trials, temptations and difficulties of life. This is also the cure for unbelief, for “Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God (Romans 10:17). I find it helpful to declare out loud the truths of the Word of God. For example “I am a precious child of the living God” (John 1:12).

Hardness of heart, is likely more common then we think. Jesus accused the disciples of it when, after having seen many miracles they were still slow to believe (Mark 8:17). They were of course unaware of it. And perhaps we, like they, need to pray the prayer “Search my heart oh God, to see if there be any wicked way within me” (Psalm 139:23,24). Perhaps we have accused God of not caring, or of being the cause of our misery. We need to repent. At times of doubt, I like to pray “I believe help my unbelief” (Mark 9:24).

Father, I join my heart this morning with all those who are wrestling and striving in their spirit, and I joined my heart with those who are praying for a loved one in the same state. Father you are able to do exceedingly and above all that we ask or imagine, and I ask this morning Lord for an acceleration in your work in bringing people out of the various states of unbelief. Have mercy upon us Lord, for Your mercy is great in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment