Thursday, August 2, 2018

The fruit of the Spirit (VII) Faithfulness - Faith

While the majority of translations have "faithfulness" in Galatians 5:22, the NKJV has "faith." Both translations are possible from the Greeks. Perhaps ‘faithfulness’ is chosen in most translations, because in contrast to the middle cluster (patience, kindness, goodness) which are seen to be inward qualities, the final fruit cluster (faithfulness, gentleness and self control) are thought to be qualities that express themselves outwardly to others. Someone who is faithful is said to have the character of one who keeps his promises, who is loyal, stably dependable, and constant in all circumstance.

Proverbs 20:6 has “Many a man claims to have steadfast unfailing love, but a faithful man who can find?” I mean who has not be let down by others? As I go through these qualities know as the fruit of the Spirit, it strikes me that we see them supremely in God. And I am seeing again the beauty of the Lord, and it makes me want to worship Him. Because I sensed this from the very beginning, one of my favourite hymns at the time of conversion was “Great is thy faithfulness.”

And it also strikes me again, how unnatural these things are, how very much we need Him to do His part in fostering these qualities in us, and how very much I need to put to death the rampant selfishness that hinders them (Galatians 5:24). And whether the correct translation is faith of faithfulness, I am sensing this morning, that both are produced as we stick close to Him who against all odds has faith in us (1 Corinthians 13:7 - believes all things NKJV). And I am thinking of my recent post “Do you believe what I believe about you?”

Father, Your Word tells us “There is a friend who sticks closer than a brother” (Proverbs 18:24). And You call me friend (John 15:15), and so You are that friend. I have been let down many, many times, but never by You. Indeed great is Your steadfast love and mercy my Lord, and my saviour and my faithful friend. Thank You, the words seem so inadequate, but thank You anyway in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment