Monday, August 6, 2018

Though war break out against me, even then will I be confident

In the context of this verse from Psalm 27:3, David tells us the reason for his fearlessness. It was because the Lord is his light and salvation, everything good and pure and worthwhile comes from light and not darkness. Furthermore because the Lord is his strength, David asks rhetorically “Who shall I fear” (all in verse 1). This confidence that we see in David (Psalm 27:3), came from two things. It came (a) from the things that he suffered and (b) from his experience of the Lord coming through for him in the midst of the chaos and the pain of betrayal.

In particular, the second verse of the Psalm makes it clear that David had the experience of God delivering him under his belt. But in order to have had this experience, it is necessary for him to have gone through something from which he needed to be delivered. This seems to be very much the way that God works. He allows circumstances to come into our lives and then when we cry out to Him for deliverance He always comes through. Sometimes He changes the circumstances, but more often than not (at least in my experience) He changes us. Every time this happens I think of it as another brick in my wall of faith. Over the years there have been many such bricks, and the wall has grown thick and strong, and like David I have learned to trust Him. It did not come easy, it came through toil and snare and often heartache. But I can honestly say He has never let me down.

That is not to say that other people have not let me down, nor that I will not enter difficult and trying circumstances again. In this mornings verse David is confident that the Lord will see him through the battle, not that war will not break out. For me in the midst of the struggle I like to go to the promises. There are many that in various ways I have underlined, and I camp there and stay there until with His help I return to peace. And all it does it to bring me closer to Him. Hallelujah!

Father I want to thank You this morning for Your faithfulness. Over and over I realize that I would not have made it without You. Thank You that You are a very present help in time of need, and that You always lead me in triumphant procession in Christ (2 Corinthians 2:14) in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment