Thursday, August 9, 2018

The Joy of the Lord is my strength

Paul tells us that the kingdom is righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit (Romans 14:17). So if joy is one third of the Kingdom, how come so many of us are going round at least half depressed? We were challenged this morning in the group time here at the Prophetic conference I am attending, to invite the Holy Spirit to shower His joy upon us. And before long many of us were giggling and laughing.

I had a picture on the screen of my mind with Jesus standing with His hands on His hips, head bent back and laughing uproariously. And I thought to myself “You know what, we can invite Holy Spirit to do this anytime we want.” The laughter was of course infectious. Some people I am told (well I know actually) have trouble with this, they think that it is somehow irreverent. But the Scriptures tells us that God anointed Jesus with the oil of gladness more than His companions (Hebrews 1:9), and for this and other reasons, I really can’t see Jesus with the sourpuss anointing!

In the meeting we were encouraged that when we feel negative, to laugh and ask for heaven's solution (see James 1:2-5). Then to give the Lord time and space to see what He will do. We need to experience the joy of heaven, a joy not connected to circumstances. We are not intended to wait until the circumstances are right until we have joy (James 1:2).

Father in Your word You tell us that a joyful heart is good medicine (Proverbs 17:22), and secular research has documented the beneficial health benefits of laughter. Forgive us Lord for the times we have presented You as a joy spoiling God. Nothing could be further from the truth in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment