Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Why should your right to free speech trump my right not to be offended?

When I am at loggerheads with someone, I am very aware that I can’t do right for doing wrong. Do you know what I mean? When you are mad with me, you are likely to interpret everything I say in the worst possible light. So in this kind of scenario, if something can be misinterpreted, it likely will be (this is probably one of Murphy’s laws!).

And if you insist that you have a right not to be offended, it will likely mean that we can have no contact whatsoever. I mean if you want to, you can take offence even at the way I look at you. But then you might be offended at my not speaking or avoiding you, in my attempt to not offend you! So again if you insist that you have a right not to be offend, then I will likely not be able to do right, for doing wrong!

I am not saying we should care less about offending others. As Christians we are commanded as much as possible to live at peace with all (Romans 12:18). But we are also commanded to speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15), and also that we who are spiritual should gently restore one overtaken in a sin (Galatians 6:1). And we need to be gentle and humble because the truth is not easy to hear betimes, even when spoken gently and in love. But if we are to grow, we need to become offenceproof. In fact if we entertain bitterness in our hearts, we will end up poisoning ourselves and those we love (Hebrews 12:15).

Father, more and more we are being intimidated into silence, but this is not healthy for relationships. Certainly we need to be gracious, we are to give an answer of the hope that is within us, not ram the truth down people’s throats (Colossians 4:6). Ecclesiastes 3:7 tells us there us a time to be silent and a time to speak. Sometimes people are not ready to hear, and when this is so, silence can be the most loving thing we can do. On the other hand it can be the most unloving thing, enabling a loved one to remain stuck. We need Your wisdom Lord and the serenity prayer comes to mind again. In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment