Saturday, August 18, 2018

Do not quench the Spirit (1 Thessalonians 5:19)

I was reminded again this week in the prison, of the difficulty people can have in taking the steps of forgiving others for what they have done, and of taking responsibility for what we have done. The women are at various stages of faith, either coming back to it, or not yet having got there in the first place. Both of these steps are huge, and likely involve both inability and “won’t” power! In particular I hear “I can’t, and I won’t forgive!” “Blame power” is pretty big too!

We are not robots automatically programmed to do what right and what is best for us. And forgiving and taking responsibility are huge in terms of self care. It is helpful to me, to know both in terms of “won’t” and “can’t,” that “ We do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin” (Hebrews 4:15). He understands, He really does, even if no-one else gets us! It is also comforting to know that Holy Spirit knows what stage we are at in our journey with Him. He knows how to help us in our weakness and infirmity, and to provide the way of escape from our bondage giving us what we need, at the time we need it (1 Corinthians 10:13). But we do have to give Him what is possible for us to give Him.

I think I can say without fear of contradiction that “I won’t” grieves Holy Spirit far more than “I can’t.” And this quenching the Spirit has everything to do with failing to receive the enabling Grace He gives us to do what without Him is impossible (Hebrews 12:15). This is not to say it is easy, especially when it is our caretakers, those who initially represent God to us, are the ones who have hurt us the most. And if they cannot be trusted how are we supposed to trust God? The Lord knows that trust has to be earned even with Him. But at some stage if we are to learn the Truth that He is trustworthy, we will at least have to start, however tentatively, to choose to trust Him.

Father, it is my prayer this morning that the testimony of my life (my words and my actions) speak of Your love, faithfulness and trustworthiness. There are many who have failed me (and I them), but You have never let me down, You have never failed me. Thank You for the times that You made me aware that I had quenched or grieved Your Spirit, because I have been able to learn from these things what pleases You, and what does not. And I know that You always have my best interest at heart, even when I don’t understand why You allow what You allow. I love You Lord and I want to thank You this morning that You continue to pursue me and that You have brought me out of many desolate pits. In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment