Wednesday, October 2, 2019

The glory of the riches of our inheritance (III) Inheritance Scriptures

I have known for a very long time, that Psalm 40:1-3 are my life verses, verses that show me part of the plan God has had for me from the foundation of the World (Ephesians 1:11, 4). I understand this in three parts. Firstly “I waited patiently on the Lord” is instruction (verse 1). Secondly His hearing me, lifting me out of the pit, establishing me, placing my feet on a rock, and a song in my mouth (verses 1b-3a), is my the testimony. Then thirdly my promise “Many will see and fear and put their trust in Him” (verse 3b). Graham Cook calls such scriptures “inheritance Scriptures,” (likely from “In him we have obtained an inheritance” verse 11). That it was planed from the beginning, is seen from “We are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand” (Ephesians 2:10; see also 1:4). But if this is the case, how come so many of us don’t have a clue what is our destiny, what these plans, these works are (Jeremiah 29:11)? Well, part of this is where our life verses, our inheritance scriptures, come in.
So is what I am saying here Biblical? Are there examples in Scripture? Well, take the case of John the Baptist. The angel of the Lord tells his father before he was even conceived that “he will go before Him (Jesus) in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children (Luke 1:17). This is a direct quote from Malachi 4:6 “he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers.” This is how heaven saw him. Then there is Jesus, who reads Isaiah 61:1 “The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor... to heal the brokenhearted ….” He then essentially tells them “This is me” (Luke 4:18). These were part of Jesus' inheritance scriptures.
But you say “You can’t make doctrines out of examples in Scripture, I mean Judas went out and hanged himself, so should we” (Matthew 27:5)? True enough, be we also have “The Lord does nothing without informing his servants the prophets” (Amos 3:7). And “In the last days your sons and daughters will prophesy, ” and “Earnestly desire spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy” so that “You may all prophesy” (Acts 2:17; 1 Corinthians 14:1, 31). Of course all prophecy needs to be tested and judged (1 Thessalonians 5:21; 1 Corinthians 14:29). I am saying that our inheritance scriptures are essentially prophecies to ourselves as they must have been for Jesus. And we pray for (and therefore receive) a revelation of them, and as we read He draws our attention to them in the special way that He does. It’s all part of learning to hear His voice (John 10:4, 16, 27).
Father, thank You that You have amazing plans for all of us (Jeremiah 29:11), that were planned for us according to your foreknowledge (Romans 8:29). Some of us Lord feel  we have totally blown it, and loose hope. But in Your foreknowledge Lord, You knew that too, and well, sometimes You do need to revise the plans (Jeremiah 18:1-6). But as long as we have breath and turn you You, You will still have good plans to give us a future and a hope (Jeremiah 29:11 again). You are such an amazing God, and we love You Lord in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment