Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Toxic compassion: The poison of affirming and enabling victimhood

I suppose I was naive, but I was simply trying to live the sermon on the mount, and in particular going the second mile. I had encountered him through prison ministry. He told me many tales of woe, which at the time, I swallowed hook line and sinker. Well he  could lie brilliantly, and I chose to trust him long after he had shown himself untrustworthy. I told myself “If I don’t trust him, how will he ever learn to trust?” But I woke realizing he despised me when said “You can’t say no (to me).” He was wrong about that! Apart from that slip, he knew exactly what he was doing, but many are not so self aware, and are trapped in real or imagined victimhood. Please don’t get me wrong, we need compassion, but compassion becomes toxic when we don’t at some stage, encourage a victim to deal with bitterness and unforgiveness, for their own sake, and to encourage them to take responsibility so as to put the past behind them, and start to live life again. I know of those who decades after a divorce still blame their ex for everything that goes wrong.  “Well he messed me up, and left me unable to deal with life.” That is toxic victimhood, and it’s not loving to enable a person to stay stuck there.

I still don’t know how much of what my “friend” told me was true, but he was playing the victim card to manipulate me,  playing on my sympathy and compassion. After the first world war the people of Germany were victims of a punishing armistice. The injustice was real, and needed to be addressed. There were other factors of course, but Hitler was able to play on the injustice of it all, and he used this, his hatred of the Jews, and the human propensity to blame to move Germany forwards (but really backwards) towards what essentially was a police state. They say that those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it, but I am getting a bit ahead of myself here.

What I am wanting to say, is that with the best (or the worst) intentions in the world (compassion), we can inadvertently (or deliberately) do victims of real injustice, absolutely not favour. And we can do this by talking and acting in ways that enable them to stay stuck in their victimhood. I am not saying that we should not come along side and help them. But it is a helping principle, that we should not do for a someone what they can reasonably be expected to do for themselves. To do more in the end, is to either enable victimhood,   or to enable them to stay stuck in it. There is also, it seems to me, to be a lot of cheap compassion out there, compassion that cries loudly about another's injustice, but is not willing to do anything but shout at the real, or imagined, perpetrators. Such compassion does nothing to alleviate the suffering, and can too easily keep the victims stuck in their victimhood.

Father, Your Word tells us that we are to be as wise as serpents and as harmless as doves. So I am asking this morning Lord, that You help us to know and understand when our compassion is likely to turn, or to be, toxic. Help us Lord to act, and not just talk, and help us be wise in our acts of compassion in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment