Saturday, August 19, 2017

For just as the sufferings of Christ are ours in abundance, so also our comfort is abundant through Christ

I’m not really sure why I was struggling so much this morning. Nothing untoward had happened, my circumstances remain largely the same, but the pain of old hurts just seemed to have risen again. Thankfully I know what to do in these times.

In the context of this verse from 2 Corinthians 1:5, Paul tells of his own suffering, and tells that he despaired even of life. He goes on to say that this sentence of death, because that’s what it felt like to him, simply caused him not trust in himself but in God who raises the dead, and in him who delivered, does deliver and will deliver from it all (verses 9 and 10).

It’s a choice of course. In times past I would have wallowed in my hurt. One of my hangups was obsessive thinking. It took me a while to admit that in doing this I was essentially engaging in a pity party. What I have learned to do, is to pour out my heart and complaint to God (Psalm 142:2). I combine this with an application of Genesis 32:26 where Jacob says to the angel “I will not let you go until you bless me.” The Lord loves us to take hold of Him in faith in this way. In doing so over and over I come back to peace as I receive His comfort, which is really all about his presence.

Father, thank you for Your peace, thank You for the principles of Your Word which truly work. Thank You that You suffered not only for us, but You suffer with us, and in doing so we find the fellowship of Your suffering. The world cannot see this, but it is available to every believer. I bless you Lord in Jesus name amen

No comments:

Post a Comment