Thursday, August 24, 2017

Teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom

When the conversation inevitably turns to the saying that time goes faster as you get older, I often jokingly say “I'll let you know when I get there!” Having already exceeded my allotted threescore and 10 years, I am fully aware of how rapidly time passes!

For me this is not a cause to fear. It’s not that long ago as I was recovering from a bout of aggressive prostrate cancer that a friend said to me “You’re not afraid to die are you!” And I’m not, there’s a real sense in which I look forward to it. I don’t mean this in a morbid sense, but I have confidence that I am accepted in the beloved, and as the Scripture says perfect love casts out all fear. Nevertheless this verse from Psalm 90:12 speaks to me this morning.

For me, it’s important to live in the perspective of eternity. I know that I must appear before the judgement seat of Christ. Oh my salvation is secure, but I know that I may gain or lose my reward (1 Corinthians 3). What I want, more than anything else on that day, is to hear “Well done good and faithful servant enter into the joy of your Lord.” If I lose this perspective of eternity, it is very easy to slip back into foolishness. Knowing that I am accepted, and yet that I must give an account of my life on that day, helps me to live more wisely.

Father, teach me to number my days, that I may apply my heart to wisdom in the fear and joy of the Lord in Jesus name amen

No comments:

Post a Comment