Saturday, August 12, 2017

Whom the Lord loves he chastens

Most of us likely don't like being corrected. We like to do what we want, but we may not like the consequences. After I became a Christian, my motivation changed, and I wanted more than anything else to please the Lord. He had a rescued me from the pit of my own rebellious behaviour. I do not mean that he voided the consequences, but rather he gave me the wherewithal to deal with them without going to pieces.

I kind of went from one extreme to another. In particular it has taken me a long while to move from having an oversensitive conscious, to being substantially free. Though there are certainly times when I ask the Lord to search my heart to see there be any wicked way within me (Psalm 139:23,24), most of the time I am content to rely on the promise of the verse at the head of this post from Proverbs 3:12.

You might find it strange that I think of this as a promise! After all who likes to be corrected? However, when you know that you will only be corrected for your own good, it makes a huge difference. No one on earth does this perfectly, but our heavenly father does. And there is no-one as gentle and loving as He is!

Before I came to this position I would find myself feeling guilty for all kinds of things. For example if I inadvertently brought a pen home from work and forgot about it, it would bother me when I remembered. Now when I give my day to him, I can rest in the assurance that he will show me anything that is displeasing to Him. And I am now free from that inner policeman that drove me crazy at times.

Father, thank You that my ongoing relationship with You solves all sorts of problems. In particular thank You for setting me free from my overactive conscience. It’s not that I like being corrected, probably nobody does, but I know that when You do, You have my very best interest at heart, and I know that I am deeply loved. In Jesus name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment