Monday, February 12, 2018

… But let patience have its perfect work

"I just want the pain to stop!" I can relate, I mean who likes pain? But the Lord keeps bringing me back to the verse in Hebrews 12:2 which says of Jesus “Who for the joy that was set before him enjoyed the cross despising the shame.” And what He has taught me through this verse is that pain is a barrier the other side of which is joy. And what we need to do is, with His help, to push through the pain to joy.

In the context of this quote from James 1:4 James is telling his that God uses the trials to build patience, or more literally the ability to stand up under trial. And the thought came to me this morning, that this is a little bit like building muscle through exercise. We will not build muscle if we do not push through the pain, past the point where it is easy. And if you give up too soon, you will not build muscle.

In another part of the context of this verse from James we are told that in the midst of the trial our faith is been tested (verse 3). And there is a real sense in which faith is a like a muscle that gets strengthened as we cooperate with God in and through the trials. So then, in the midst of the pain we need to ask God for His strength and Grace to endure and push through to joy.

Father, You are the Potter we are the clay. Too often we try to climb off Your potters wheel during the process where You are seeking to mould us into Your image. We need Your grace, I need Your grace, to let endurance have its perfect work so that we (I) may bring honour and glory and praise to You. I ask You for it this morning Father, for myself and for all those reading these posts. In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment