Sunday, February 18, 2018

The peace that passes understanding

I woke this morning at peace in spite of a number of niggardly things that one time I would have allowed to get under my skin. These things include unresolved relationship difficulties; health concerns (unexplained dizzy spells); a leaking roof whose repair has been delayed by months both the weather, and by broken promises from tradesmen; the annoying mistake I made yesterday that resulted in my ripping the fender off my car etc., etc. And I was caused to marvel again at the change He has made in me, and as I thank Him for the change, I am wanting to pass on the availability of His peace to others. And so I asked Him what was my part in Him giving me the peace that passes all understanding. I mean I just don’t understand it, but then I don’t need to, I just need to receive it!

So in receiving His answer to my question, a flood of verses came to mind. One of them is “You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind it’s fixed steadfastly on You, because He trusts in You” (Isaiah 26:3). Another is “ Cast all your cares on Him, for He cares for you“ (1 Peter 5:7). And part of what enables me to give Him my cares and not immediately take them back, is to look back on the way that He has helped me through similar trials in the past. He has faithfully repaired relationships, helped me deal with an infestation of bed bugs, brought me through a bout of aggressive prostrate cancer etc., etc.

And in remembering these things, I am reminded to thank Him, and in doing so reminded too, that this is one of a list of things I am commanded to do in Philippians 4:4 – 7. I learned these verses by heart years ago, and when I do not have the peace that passes understanding promised in verse 7, I work the passage. So for example I am told twice to rejoice in verse 4. And if I’m not rejoicing then I need to repent. I’m told to be anxious for nothing in verse 6. And if I am anxious I need to repent, and replace my anxiety by thankfulness and prayer (verse 6). And as I do these things, the peace starts to return. But I may have to work this passage several times before I come into that level of peace that does indeed pass all understanding.

Father, I thank You this morning for Your promise that as I continue to immerse myself in Your Word, then I will experience Your truth, and Your truth will progressively set me free (John 8:31). Thank You again for Your faithfulness Lord, and I pray for those struggling this morning, that by Your grace and through Your Word they may enter into Your amazing extravagant life giving peace. And I give You all the glory in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment