Sunday, February 11, 2018

I poured out my complaint to the Lord

I remember a line from a song I heard when I was a boy, “Don’t tell me your troubles, I got troubles of my own.” Not particularly full of compassion, but the truth is that when we are deeply hurting, we have enough trouble dealing with our own hurts. On the other hand, the Scripture tells us to bear one another’s burdens, but it also tells us that each one should carry his or her own load (Galatians 6:2,5).

As a now ordained pastor, part of my job is to direct a person with difficulties to the Lord (Psalm 142:2). After all, ultimately He is the only one capable of helping us deal with our problems. So part of my job is often initially at least, to be a channel for that person through which they can pour out their complaints to the Lord. Another part is to help them to cut me, as the middleman, out of the equation and go directly to Him. And part of the problem here, it is to know when to start to move this process forward, and when to just listen.

To say little bit more, the load referred to in Galatians 6: 5, is something the person it is capable of carrying. On the other hand the burden in verse 2, is something that is too heavy for the person to bear alone. The difficulty comes when you think it’s a load they need to carry, but they think it’s a burden you should bear for them.

Father, these things are messy. When you are hurting, it’s very natural to blame others. Ultimately You are the one only one who can bear all the burdens of the world. Now You have made us to need each other, but it is not Your intention that we become overly dependent on each other. So again this morning I am asking for the serenity do not second-guess myself when I am expected by others so do more for them than I think You are calling me to. I need both the serenity and the courage to stand firm when this happens, and I need the wisdom to know the difference. Since most of the time I lack wisdom, I ask You to give it to me this morning, in fact day by day in Jesus Name Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment