Wednesday, February 7, 2018

In the midst of various trials, count it all joy

Being part of the leadership team in studying James in the penitentiary yesterday, we were teaching that problems are inevitable, they are unpredictable, they come in all shapes and sizes, and God has a purpose in allowing them. In particular, they come to test our faith and to train us to be overcomers, and in this way glorify Him. And as usual, when I teach something inevitably before too long, I find myself being tested on what I taught!

In this teaching from James 1:2- 8, we are admonished in the trial, to count it all joy. This is not to count it all joy for the trial, but rather in the trial. And this morning the Lord is asking me if I will rejoice in Him as He allows me to be stretched beyond my comfort zone. Ministry can be messy, but as the Scripture says where there are all no oxen, the stalls are clean (Proverbs 14:4)!

And so I have a choice this morning. Will I choose to rejoice that there are oxen, and that I have the privilege of being part of a messy ministry? Or will I allow these things to trip me up? Well when it’s put this way (when He puts it this way as He puts these words into my craw as I blog), it would be silly to do anything other than obey. And as I choose to obey, He is reminding me that He never gives a command that with the command He does not also give the wherewithal, the Grace, to do it!

Father, I choose to greatly rejoice in You this morning (Isaiah 61:10). When I can see nothing else in which to rejoice, I can still rejoice that You have clothed me with the garments of salvation, that my name is written in the Lamb’s book of life, and that You have promised rewards as I choose by Your grace to endure this “light momentary affliction” (2 Corinthians 4:17). You are amazing Lord! You are the one who gives me the strength, hope and desire to do Your will, and then when I do it You turn around and reward me for doing it! I love you this morning Lord, well actually every morning! In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment