Sunday, September 17, 2017

One thing I have desired ……

My heart was stirred this morning as I was reminded of the teaching and passion of Mike Bickel that was essentially launched from the verse indicated in the title of this post (Psalm 27:4). It’s easy to forget in the midst of trials and difficulties, that Christianity is first and foremost a divine romance between Himself and us. It’s also easy to grow cold, and I thank God for the ministry of IHOP, no not pancakes, the International House of Prayer in Kansas City, that Mike was prompted to start.

I had heard of IHOP, and was fascinated. I was told there was a 24/7 prayer meeting that had at that time (2007) been going on for 8 years, and I decided to visit. At that point, prayer for me had been somewhat boring, and I wanted to know what was it that could sustain a prayer meeting 24 hours a day 7 days a week for 8 years. What it was all about was the “one thing.” The meetings consisted of a combination of prayer and worship and it was, and is wonderful. And what sustains it, is the passion for our beautiful bridegroom King. The full text of Psalm 27:4 is:

One thing I have desired of the LORD,
That will I seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the LORD
All the days of my life,
To behold the beauty of the LORD,
And to inquire in His temple.

It’s all about intimacy, it’s all about worship, it’s all about going deeper with the Lord, about taking time in His presence, in meditating upon the beautiful God that He is. There is so much to meditate on, His amazing character as seen in Jesus and elsewhere, His mighty acts, His incredible Word, His amazing promises etc. etc.

Father, help me above all else, to put You first in my life, to seek You in an ongoing basis as the end and the goal of my life. Thank You for Your promise, that if I seek You and Your Kingdom first, then all the things that concern me will be added unto me. I praise and bless and worship Your holy and lovely Name in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment