Sunday, January 7, 2018

Rescue 3: sanctification 2 – am being saved –

One of the objections I hear to the gospel, is that if salvation is free, then you can do what you like. But if there is no intention to change, then you have to doubt the sincerity of the conversion. After all it does require repentance (Mark 1:7?). But in any case, you cannot fool or mock God, since as the Scriptures say, we reap what we sow (Galatians 6:7). If we plant potatoes, we don’t get carrots, and I often tell the men in our prison ministry “What you get out of this, is directly proportional to what you put into it.”

In fact, God takes a great risk in offering salvation as a gift. And I have to admit, that at least in the outward appearance, a large part of Christianity in the West can at best be described as mediocre. And as if to confirm this possibility, two verses after the above Galatians reference, Paul instructs us do not grow weary in well doing. Likely we have all been there, I know I have! I mean the battle is strong betimes, and in our own strength we are weak. There are however, resources which when tapped into, enable us to become partakers of the divine nature, and to experience life in all its fullness (2 Peter 1:4; John 10:10b).

In order not to miss out on this, Paul tells us we are to work out our own salvation (sanctification) with fear and trembling. In other words, we need to give it our all (Romans 12:1, 2), and to be aware (to fear) how easily we can be deceived (Jeremiah 17:9). When we do this, the promise is that God will work both in our desires, to make them right, and to give us the wherewithal to do His will. In this way we can more fully to enter into His life in the here and now (Philippians 2:12, 13).

Father, You have told us that if we delight ourselves and You, then You will give us the desires of our heart (Psalm 37:4). For when we delight in You, our desires are holy. Lord we are all week, I am. But with Paul I can say “When I am weak, then I am strong” (2 Corinthians 12:9?). I can say this because when I admit my need of You and turn to You, You fulfill in me what is lacking. I praise and thank You this morning Lord that You will bring to completion Your work in me (Philippians 1:6). In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment