Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Take the plank out of your own eye

There are two scriptures on my heart this morning (well three really). The first is “Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness” (Isaiah 5:20). The second is “unless you repent you will all likewise perish” (Luke 13:5).

Those who say that documents 2000 years old and older can have no relevance for today, really do not know those documents (the Bible). And our first Scripture is indeed relevant, even if you think, as many do, that it applies to Christians (but see Matthew 7:16). From my point of view it is the propaganda of the Evil One which is behind it all, for he has blinded the eyes of those who do not believe. And like Nineveh of old, our culture does not know its left-hand from its right. In other words the lies of moral relativism have left us without discernment, and ultimately without an anchor for the soul.

Related to the “woe” of the first Scripture is the “repent” of the second. But this one is talking more to me this morning, than to my culture. You see in the third Scripture from Matthew 7:5 Jesus is telling me to first take the plank out of my own eye, before I can see clearly to take the speck of dust out of the other person’s eye. In other words I need to set my own house in order, before I set out to change the world. And like the Lord with the Nineveh, I need to have compassion on those whom the Evil One has led astray. And part of setting my house in order, is to make sure I have climbed down from any high horse I might be tempted to ride. After all “The wrath of man does not work the righteousness of God” (James 1:20)!

Father, the Scripture from Matthew 7:5 does not tell me after I have taken the plank out of my own eye to live and let live. No, it tells me that only after I have taken the plank out of my own I will I be able to see clearly to start to change the world. I am hearing you telling me this morning Lord, that I have been silent for far too long. I confess that I have been afraid, and once again I pray for the wisdom and courage to be your man in this wicked and perverse generation among whom You call me to be a light. Who is sufficient for these things (2 Corinthians 2:16)? I pray these things in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment