Monday, January 8, 2018

Rescue 4– will be saved. Our hope – an anchor for the soul -

In many ways life can get more difficult after you are saved. In some places you can loose your life just for becoming a Christian. In fact Paul tells us that all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution (2 Timothy 3:12). And perhaps our lack of persecution here in the West, reflects the default lack of godliness. On the other hand the persecution is there, only is it more subtle.

But if this is the case (and it is) why would anyone want to become a Christian? Well, as someone joked “The retirement benefits are out of this World.” But actually the alternative is not worth thinking about. We are in effect in a war to the death with the enemy of our souls, and after we are saved our job is to live a life that demonstrates the reality of “Christ in us the hope of glory” (Colossians 1:27). Since the World is going to hell in a hand basket, to live any other way is the height of selfishness. Having said that I am aware that in many things we all fail (James 3:2) #me too!

And this is another reason why we need to know that our ultimate destiny is sure. If we were ever left wondering if we were going to make it, it would be too easy to be discouraged. But our hope is sure, certain and in times of great difficulty we need to cling to this, and when we do this hope becomes an anchor to the soul (Hebrews 6:19). And then it is comforting to know that we follow our forerunner Jesus who “For the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame” (Hebrews 12:2).

Lord Jesus, it is my desire that I do all that I can to adorn the gospel so that You may acquire all who You came to save. But Lord even as I meditate on these things this morning, I am aware of how often I want to give up. But thank You Lord that when I do and I come to You, You always fill my heart with songs of deliverance. And the anchor holds, indeed it does! In Your precious Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment