Monday, March 30, 2020

But I will hope continually

.... and will praise You yet more and more. The “but” of this quote from Psalm 71:14 indicates that the Psalmist is making the decision to continue to hope in spite of all that is going on. And in the midst of this time of great shaking of everything in our lives that can be shaken, it is important that we too hope continually. Faith and hope are inextricably linked but they are not the same. One aspect of the difference was emphasized for me this morning, in another part of this morning's readings. In the story of the woman with the issue of blood who was healed when she touched the hem of Jesus garment we read that it was her act of faith that healed her (Luke 8:48). Likewise in Hebrews 11 we read over and over that by faith such and such a thing was accomplished. Concerning hope on the other hand we read “For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance” (Romans 8:24, 25).

Our primary hope of course, which is a sure hope (Hebrews 6:19), is of our place in eternity, for “if in this life only we have hope we are of all men most miserable (1 Cor 15:9). But the “only” points to hear and now hope. One of my favourite verses in NKJV is “I would have lost heart, unless I had believed That I would see the goodness of the LORD In the land of the living” (Psalm 27:13). And part of what I am putting my hope in, is  the prophetic word that through Chuck Pierce who heard from the Lord that we would be tested with a plague like invasion until passover (the week after Easter). In any case there will be an end to this. And in the meantime I will praise Him yet more and more. In the words from a popular chorus “My weapon is a melody.” Praise is indeed part of the arsenal of our nightly weapons of this spiritual warfare.

As I am sure you are aware the world is in turmoil and those without Christ have no real hope. In this season, our hope and joy need to be contagious. And it will not be contagious if it is not real. Perhaps you are not there yet, but whether or not our 911 emergency response (Psalm 91:1) needs to be that we spend quality time in the secret place abiding under the shadow of the almighty, claiming His promises (i.e. Verse 10). Psalm 9:11 is also interesting it reads “Sing praises to the LORD, who dwells in Zion! Declare His deeds among the people.”

Lord, I thank You for the healing of my sister debilitating dizziness yesterday as several of us prayed for her. Thank You for her joy as she was then able to function in the work You are using her for at this time. And for this, and for many other benefits I praise and bless You again this morning, as I put my trust in You, for You are my hope. Help us to eagerly wait for it with perseverance  in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment