Wednesday, March 18, 2020

When my heart is overwhelmed

.... Lead me to the rock that is higher than I. There were two verses that stood out to me in this morning's reading, this first one is from Psalm 61:2. David had cried out to God asking Him to hear his prayer (verse 1). We do not know the occasion of this Psalm, but we can all likely identify with feeling overwhelmed, faint and wanting to hide (the force of the Hebrew). I think of such times as having the rug pulled out from under me, and I had to have a number of these experiences before I first of all turned to God for salvation.  I then needed a number more “rugs” pulled,  before I fully entered into the process of healing, or recovery, true sanctification. Twelve step programs talk about acknowledging the need for a higher power, something or someone outside of oneself to which we can turn in times of trouble and distress. At such times we cry out to God even if we have no idea who He is. The saying there are no atheists in foxholes, seems to be true. And at times like these, those of us who know and love the Lord can lead the way for others, simply by our peace, our peace can be a light in the darkness.

We do of course need to get there ourselves first, and it is a journey! This was not the first time that David had felt overwhelmed. He says in verse 3 “You have been a shelter for me, a strong tower from the enemy.” And his experience over and over of God's faithfulness, was the substance of what built the walls of the high tower in which he now feels secure. And in this new season he can now know that he will abide with God forever (verse 7a).  And all this gives him faith to trust in the shelter of God's wings (verse 4b). It's like that with us too, it was with me. Each difficult thing that happens, when we cry out to God and choose to trust Him, these experiences build our walls of faith, and we move into the realization that we are indeed the light of the world (Matthew 5:14).

The second verse that stood out to me is from Luke 3:22. It's where the Holy Spirit descended on Jesus at His baptism, and a voice come from heaven saying “You are my beloved son, in You I am well pleased.” The scriptures tell us that God is no respecter of persons (Acts 10:34). It is therefore true that  what He says to Jesus, He says to all who Jesus calls brothers (Hebrews 2:11). Therefore He is saying to you and me “You are my beloved son, beloved daughter in whom I am well pleased.” He does of course want to transform us from one degree of glory to another (2 Corinthians 3:18), and He calls us up not out (Romans 8:1). He loves us exactly as we are, but He loves us too much to leave us there. It's all about acceptance and transformation!

Father, You are so much not into control, but You do want to bring us fullness of life (John 10:10b). And we find that by choosing to present our bodies as living sacrifices which are holy and acceptable and our reasonable service (Romans 12:1, 2). So we surrender again this morning Lord,  and ask You to help us to let our light shine through us at this difficult time for the World in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment