Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Your sons shall ... bear the brunt of your infidelity

The context of this quote from Numbers 14:33 is of the children of Israel giving into fear and refusing to go up to conquer the promised land. The Lord had reminded them that He visits the iniquities of the fathers on the children. This is not as some translations have it that He is punishing the children for the father's sin, for this would contradict Ezekiel 18:20. But what is true, is that the children either suffer or reap the benefit of the legacy we the fathers leave. The people had seen the Lord's glory in what He had done in Egypt and in the wilderness, and by giving into fear had put the Lord to the test ten times (verse 22). Each time they had wanted to go back to Egypt, and this time they had even wanted to select new leaders to take them back (verse 4).

As punishment, except for Joshua and Caleb, not one over twenty who had seen His glory would enter the promised land. Commenting on this in the New Testament, the writer to the Hebrews admonishes us to”Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God” (Hebrews 3:12). Note that God regards unbelief as evil! We are likewise warned in one of the most severe warning in the New Testament, those of us that is who have “tasted of the heavenly gift, ... the good Word of God ... and the powers of the age to come (Hebrews 6:4-6).

I have seen so much of His glory, I have received healings in my own body, I have been used to heal others and have seen many, displays of His healing power.  And yet I continue to find pockets of unbelief in my heart.  And I found myself in tears this morning and crying out to God to have mercy on me,  and on my children,  and my children's children. You know most of us when are children are ill would gladly take their place. How much more should we live for Him knowing that one way or the other we are leaving them a legacy? 

Father, You reminded me this morning that “The LORD is longsuffering and abundant in mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression; but He by no means clears the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generation.” And I pray Lord please pardon the iniquity of us Your people “according to the greatness of Your mercy, just as You have forgiven this people ... even until now” (Numbers 14:18,19; 1 John 1:9). Lord keep us, keep me, close to the flame, and please burn off all unbelief in Your consuming fire. Help me Lord, for I want to leave a positive legacy for my children, and my children's children, and my children's children's children in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment