Monday, March 9, 2020

When pride comes, then comes shame

.... But with the humble is wisdom (proverbs 11:2). Pride is said to be the excessive belief in one's own abilities, it interferes with the individual's recognition of the grace of God. It is said all other sins arise from it. I remember in my pre-Christian days being accused of pride, and being told it was a sin. I was angry and called that person naive. But why was I angry? “Like water off a ducks back is an insult undeserved.” Clearly it was deserved! It was my pride denying I was proud! We must not fail to see the destructive nature of pride, it leads us to think that we know best. I did that, and it lead me down a very destructive path. Pride was the Devil's sin he told himself “I will be like the Most High.” But Jesus told us “whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted” (Matthew 23:12). To exalt oneself in this sense is to think more highly of oneself than he aught (Romans 12:3). The same verse suggests that we aught to measure ourself in accordance with the faith God has given us.

The word translated shame in this morning's proverb also means personal dishonour or disgrace. Another proverb puts it this way “Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall” (Proverbs 16:18). Rick Warren rephrases part of the first step of twelve step programs as “Admitted that I am not God.” In fact trying to play God in our lives is at the very root of our destructive habits. We reap what we sow (Galatians 6:7). And again as we have been saying these things lead to shame and humiliation. As much as we like to think of ourselves as independent of God, we are in fact dependent on Him, even for the very air that we breath. He is the potter and we are the clay (Isaiah 64:8). And He has designed reality in such a way is that life only goes well when we are in right relationship with Him.

Humility is the opposite of pride, but there is also such a thing as false humility. And there is a lot of it in the Church! Pride is the excessive belief in one's own abilities, but timidity and pride are not the same thing. Timidity is thinking less of myself than what is true. Humility does  not deny what's true, it does not think less of myself than what's true. Humility does not deny the gifts that God has given, and it's not thinking less of myself than what God thinks of me. And like the loving Father He is, He thinks you are I are amazing. When somebody complements you, the correct and humble response is “Thank you.” To say “It was not me, it was Jesus,” is to invite the response “It wasn't that good!”

Father, I want to come back to Romans 12:3 where Paul admonishes us “not to think of himself more highly than he ought, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.” In terms of faith I have certainly not arrived Lord, and I am immune to neither pride nor false humility. But I want to thank You this morning Lord that I am not what I once was, and that You who have begun a good work in me will keep right on working on me in Jesus Name Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment