Sunday, November 5, 2017

Be still, and know that I am God

The first step in the teachings of Mark Virkler on hearing God’s voice, is to quiet yourself down. It makes a lot of sense, since more often than not, God speaks to us in a still small voice (1 Kings 19:12). This quietening yourself down is not always easy, and as in many other situations, I find myself being tested on the things that I am seeking to teach. In particular I have found myself over the last week wrestling in my spirit, more than I have for some time!

As I sought to obey the command at the head of this post from Psalm 46:10, the prayer “know my anxious thoughts” (Psalm 39:23) came to mind. Recognizing that I was having anxious thoughts helped me to start to put into practice what I have been trying to teach.

The complete quote from Psalm 39 is ”Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my anxious thoughts: 24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” So the first point is to make sure there is no unconfessed sin in my life. I had been feeling some vague condemnation about something that I had said at a meeting. As I brought this to the Lord, I realized this was shame. There’s a big difference between conviction, and condemnation. Conviction has to do with some sin that I have committed. Condemnation is usually vague, not specific, and this is how to recognize that it is not from the Lord, but rather from the enemy (Romans 8:1). So I took authority over those thoughts (2 Corinthians 10:5). If it had been conviction, I could have repented and received the Lord’s cleansing and forgiveness (1 John 1:9).

Then, when I know there is nothing in my life that is separating me from the Lord, I can start to obey the command to be still and know that He is God. I have come to understand that many times anxious thoughts, or obsessive thinking, is left brain activity. So then I can deliberately switch to right brain activity. I can do this by picturing in my mind, the secret place I used to flee too when I was troubled. In this place there is a waterfall on a brook. It’s a refuge from the concrete jungle most of us live in most of the time. In my mind I can hear the water, see the trees, and start to feel the peace. I can picture Jesus there with me, and I can hear Him speak his promises over me.

Father, thank You for Your word to me this morning even as I sought to obey the command to be still and know that You are God. Thank You for reminding me that You are for me and not against me (Romans 8:31), thank You for reminding me that You will never leave me nor forsake me (Deuteronomy 31:6). Thank You for reminding me that You will strengthen me and uphold me with Your right hand of righteousness (Isaiah 41:10). Thank You that those reading this post can claim these very same promises. In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment