Saturday, November 25, 2017

know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.

Is it always wrong to knowingly do or say something that will hurt another person? Certainly we should avoid hurting others whenever possible. But sometimes the goals of doing the right thing and of not hurting someone are incompatible. Let me explain.

It’s very difficult at times to come to terms with the truth, in particular to admit that something we have been doing is wrong. And it is so difficult, that many times we may need help to see it. I am saying this, because while we may know that the right thing to do is to come alongside someone and seek to turn them from the error of their way, it’s not always well received. Sometimes hearing the truth can hurt!

This is certainly true in my own experience in both giving and receiving the truth. On my heart this morning, are some things that I felt I needed to say that were not well received. This person became very angry, and the relationship is still not healed. So does that mean I should not have said what I did?

In situations like this, it’s very easy to second-guess yourself. But the Lord recently brought the above verse from James 5:20 to my attention, and with it the assurance that I did the right thing. I have to trust Him with this, and to know that although the outcome still does not look positive, the story is not yet over!

Father, thank You for Your assurance this morning, that I did the right thing. A parallel verse from Galatians 6:1 is also coming to mind telling me of my obligation to seek to restore in gentleness and humility. And while I have not always done this well, I know that You will redeem what was lacking in my approach. Thank You Lord that You promise that You work for good even in this, especially in this (Romans 8:28). I give You all the honour and the glory and the praise in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment