Thursday, November 23, 2017

When I am weak, then I am strong!

It’s no wonder, as the Scripture says, that the wisdom of the cross is foolishness to the unbeliever (1 Corinthians 1:18). But if God exists, and He is indeed a very present help in times of need (Psalm 46:1), then such apparent contradictions make perfect sense. Let me use an analogy to explain.

One of the promises of the Word of God comes in James 1:5. It says “If anyone lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives liberally to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.” Many times I find myself in circumstances not knowing what to do or say. In this condition I qualify for this promise, I lack wisdom! So I come to Him, and ask. Over and over He has shown me what to say or what to do, and when I follow this to the best of my ability, then most times things just seem to work out. So then when I have lacked wisdom, I have received His wisdom. So along the lines of the quote at the head of this post, I can safely say that when I’m not wise, then I am wise.

A paraphrase of Philippians 2:12, 13 would say that when I totally surrender to Him, then He actively works in me in two ways. First of all, He works in me to change my desires. For me this is huge! Over and over my emotions, my desires get in the way. And this principle/promise really works. In particular when I give my desires to Him, He starts the process of changing them. The second thing here, is that He gives me the wherewithal to do what I cannot do without Him. What I am saying, is that when I give Him my all, then not only does He deal with my emotions, He makes up for what I am unable to do. So then truly when I am weak, and I throw myself on Him, then in Him I become strong. And so in this way the verse at the head of this post from 2 Corinthians 12:9, makes perfect sense.

Father, Your word tells me to be strong in You. It took me a while to learn to take on Your strength. But You are indeed a very present, and a very practical help, in times of need. Thank You Lord for the reality of Your wisdom, Your love, Your peace, Your hope, Your joy and Your strength in my life. I praise and thank You Lord in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment