Thursday, November 30, 2017

God so loved, that He gave…

There’s a book by Townsend entitled “Hiding from love.” His point, is that out of fear, and bad experiences in the past, we are often reluctant to risk entering into new relationships. Townsend together with Dr. Cloud speak a lot about boundaries in relationships. Healthy boundaries need to have gates, that while keeping the bad out, can let the good in and let the bad out. If our boundaries are walls, then although at some level they may protect us, they also keep the bad in and the good out!

It’s helpful to know, or at least to hope, that a person we are entering into relationship with is safe. I know of many people, who often through bad teaching or otherwise shut God out. In particular they fear they will be condemned. But the verse following this partial quote from John 3:16 says “For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that through Him the world might be saved.”

Part of what I’m saying here, is that God is safe. John 3:16 is so well known, it’s easy to skip over what is actually saying. God so loved, that is God loved you and me in the most extraordinary way, that He sent his one and only Son in order that he can blot out our sins, and be both just and loving. A righteous judge has to punish our bad, our sin. But our righteous judge is the very essence of love (1 John 4:8) and, at incredible cost to himself, has punished His Son in our place so that we can go free (1 Peter 3:18).

So in fact, God is very safe, very good and very loving. Jesus said “He that hears my Word, and puts his trust in Him who sent Me, has everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but has passed from death unto life” (John 5:24).

Father, as I continued to mourn the passing of my dear friend Ruth, it is very obvious to me, that in spite of her deep woundedness, she was a channel of Your love to many. Her life challenges me this morning. Lord please deal with anything in my life that is in any way a hindrance to your love flowing through me. And I will give You all the honour, all the glory and all the praise in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment