Saturday, November 18, 2017

Promises ( Principles, promises, power and presence III)

There are two types of promises for the believer, the first is what I call the “if – then” kind of promise, and then there is the unconditional promise. By the “if – then” type of promise, I mean a promise that has a premise, a condition that needs to be fulfilled before the conclusion of the promise can be claimed. A simple example of this comes in 1 John 1:9, which says “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

This example of an “if – then” promise comes over and over in different forms in the Scripture, and constitutes the kernel of the good news. I’m fond of saying that if you are an unbeliever, then the biggest difference between you and me, is that I am forgiven, I am declared legally righteous before God. We see this in Paul, who having come to the place where he saw his self-righteousness as filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6), now compares his it to dung (Philippians 3:8 KJV). He says that he does this in order that he might “gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith” (Philippians 3:8, 9). In other words he now stands in Christ's righteousness, which is God's gift (Ephesians 2:8,9).

The “if” part of an if – then promise does not have to contain the word “if.” For example the rather long-winded version of John 5:24 from the amplified Bible reads “I assure you and most solemnly say to you, the person who hears My word [the one who heeds My message], and believes and trusts in Him who sent Me, has (possesses now) eternal life [that is, eternal life actually begins—the believer is transformed], and does not come into judgment and condemnation, but has passed [over] from death into life." There are two conditions here, the first is to hear, and as the Greek implies, obey. The second is to put one’s trust in Christ for salvation. When these conditions are fulfilled, then conclusion of the promise, that eternal life has begun in the here and now, and continues into eternity, can then be claimed.

One week ago today, a precious sister in the Lord passed from this life. She touched many, many people with her love, concern and unconditional acceptance. One of her grieving friends expressed the hope that she is in heaven. And I was able to assure her, that she is indeed there, not because she or in fact anyone of us deserve it, but because it had been promised by the One who is faithful and true.

Still thinking about if – then promises, one of the most powerful comes in John 8:31, 32 which says “Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. I have said this before, and no doubt I will say it again, but I hear the bald statement “the truth shall set you free,” spoken again and again. But this phrase is the conclusion of a promise, and cannot be claimed unless the condition of the promise is fulfilled. Indeed sometimes the truth causes us to stumble!

Notice that this promise is given to believers. Now even for the unbeliever, the truth can set you free, since the principles of his word work even for the unbeliever. But the point I want to make is that just because you are a believer does not mean that you are free! And perhaps the reason that Christianity is so weak in the West, is because many who enter into salvation, who through neglect have failed to obtain the freedom that is available in Christ. and when we fail to do this, we become no different from the world. And this causes many to stumble. In fact I can say without fear of contradiction, but I have been hurt more by those who claim to know Christ, than those who make no such claim. At such times I refuse to judge the value of Christianity by those who make such claims. In fact, if I allow the conduct of other Christians to cause me to stumble, then my faith is not in Christ, but in his followers! More to come stay tuned!

Father, thank You for the gift of salvation (Ephesians 2:8, 9). I know Lord that it is Your intention that the assurance of Your unconditional acceptance is designed to set me free to do my best for You. But I am also very aware that as the Scripture says in many things we all fail (James 3:2). Thank You that Your mercy is great, and thank You too for Your discipline when I fail to measure up. I know that You love me exactly as I am, but You love me far too much to leave me that way. Thank You that even Your discipline, helps me to know that I am loved and accepted (Hebrews 12:6). Thank You Lord in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment