Monday, December 18, 2017

Blessed are the merciful, For they shall obtain mercy

I am reminded this morning, of the time I was let off for speeding largely I think, because I had admitted my guilt. I remarked to my passenger “That’s what I want when I die.” When he inquired what I meant, I replied “Mercy, not justice!”

But the thrust of this morning’s beatitude from Matthew 5:7, is that if we want Him to show us mercy, then we need to show mercy to others. It’s not enough to simply want it! The parable of the unmerciful servant is sobering (Matthew 18:23 – 35). The point of the parable is that we cannot choose mercy for ourselves, but justice for those who do us wrong. In other words it is by showing others mercy that we choose to be dealt with with mercy with respect to our own failings. On the other hand if we fail to show mercy to others then we are choosing to be dealt with according to justice, not mercy with respect to our own transgressions. I don’t know about you, but I know that I am going to need mercy!

But it’s also important to notice too, that blessings in the here and now, accompany our being merciful. Recall that part of what it means to be blessed, is to be spiritually prosperous—with life-joy and satisfaction (Matthew 5:7 Amplified Bible). And these things do not accompany resentment, anger, offence or bitterness and the like!

Father, how long does it take us to realize that Your ways are best, that getting even, or obsessing about the injustices that we suffer keeps us stuck in pain and unhappiness? Lord, we need Your help, I do, but it only comes with total surrender to You and Your ways. Help us Lord to number and redeem our days, for the days are evil (Ephesians 5:16). In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment