Wednesday, December 13, 2017

let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us

There is a real temptation for us to feel that no one has problems like we do, that no one faces the same trials and temptations as we do. But in the context of this quote from Hebrews 12: 1, the writer uses the examples of the heroes of the faith (Hebrews 11) to motivate this admonition.

Without underestimating the power of sin to ensnare me, it is the “weight” that could more easily trip me up this morning. This word could also be translated “burden,” or “encumbrance.” And the thing that burdens me most this morning, is seeing people that I love stuck, and apart from prayer (which I do not by any means underestimate), am seemingly helpless to help.

The writer to the Hebrews goes on to tell us how to run this race of life with endurance. He tells us that we are to “fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame” (verse 2). This “looking unto Jesus,” is so much more than seeing Him as an example of endurance. It is first and foremost to have His comfort and perspective, the sure knowledge that in the fellowship of His sufferings (Philippians 3:10) we can push through the pain to joy. It is also coming to Him to obtain the very practical grace to help in such times of need (Hebrews 4:16). I don’t know how You do this Lord, but I do know that it works!

Father, thank You that again and again You bring me back to peace when I come to You morning by morning. Help me Lord at times like this, when I am in danger of taking more responsibility than You call me to take. We are such creatures of imbalance, I am! We either don’t take enough responsibility, or we take too much. Thank You again that in the intimacy of my relationship with You, You bring me back into balance again and again. I praise and bless Your name this morning in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment