Saturday, December 30, 2017

Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!

Bear with me a little here as I say that as a mathematician, I have encountered ever increasing orders of infinity. So we talk about the trans-finite numbers. We start with the counting numbers 1, 2, 3…which of course never end. The set of all real numbers however is much larger and we say they are uncountable. In fact the “size” of this set is the first of an infinite number of increasingly larger ordinal numbers.

If you can’t get your mind around this don’t worry, neither can I! But neither can I get my mind around the fact that the riches of Christ are unsearchable (Ephesians 3:8). But my point, is that I strongly suspect that there are also an uncountable number of ever-increasing aspects of unsearch-ability to the grace and glory of our infinite God. In particular, when Jesus told us to go make disciples, He was commanding us to teach ourselves and others to enter into a task which will endure through all eternity.

In the second half of the verse quoted at the head of this post from Romans 11:33, Paul exclaims “How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out.” Now contrast this with our tendency to feel that we have arrived in our denomination or little group! So if we are finding Christianity boring, we need to realize that we have really missed out in our searching the unsearch-ability of our infinitely fascinating God.

Father please forgive me when, for whatever reason, apathy, pride, laziness or whatever, I have ceased to search for You with all my heart mind soul and strength. Lord in this, as in all things, I need Your help. Thank you Lord, that when I give everything I am able to give, then You make up for what is lacking (Philippians 2:12, 13). Thank You for these thoughts this morning Lord, in Jesus Name

No comments:

Post a Comment