Friday, December 22, 2017

Let me get this straight, you’re pregnant but you didn’t have sex?

I’m imagining that this was Joseph's response when his fiancée Mary, told him she was pregnant by the Holy Spirit (Luke 1:35). Some would say that these things were believed way back then, because people were naïve in those days. That does not seem to be true however, since for example years later, when Jesus was discussing whether the Pharisees had Abraham as their father, their retort was “We are not born of fornication” (John 8:41)!

It is interesting to ask, assuming that God exists and the Bible is true, why in order for us to become Christians He (God), would require us to believe ten impossible things before breakfast! I mean why would He put such obstacles in our way? His answer which raises even more questions, is that He has chosen the foolish things to confound the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27), and that unless we become as little children, we cannot enter the kingdom (Matthew 18:3)!

But to me, it is not illogical to consider the possibility that the One who spoke and stars were flung into space, could also intervene in history and bring about fulfillment of prophecy, resurrections from the dead, miraculous occurrences etc., etc. To me, the alternative to believing in a creator it is far more illogical, since the only real alternative is then to believe that the universe created itself. This would contradict the scientific law of cause-and-effect!

For my own part, I came to faith because I was desperate, and would likely have believed that the world was flat if I thought it would have helped me. But both then and now, I was and am convinced that delusion brings neither life nor health nor healing nor forgiveness. On the other hand, and largely after-the-fact, through my faith in Him, He has brought not only the strong sense of being forgiven, but also the promised healing to my broken heart, physical healing to my body, rest for my soul and freedom from my more obvious addictions (Isaiah 61: 1-4; Luke 4:18).

Father, though I still have a ways to go and there are things I need You to do in my life and in my body, nevertheless these things help keep me close to You. I am grateful for what You have done, and for what I still need You to do. And I thank You this morning, for the substantiality of faith (Hebrews 11:1) and the reality of my relationship with You. Though many times I have found Christmas difficult, I thank You this morning Lord, for what lies behind Christmas. In other words I thank You for the reason for the season in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment