Sunday, April 8, 2018

Didn’t our hearts burn within us as he talked with us on the road

In this extract from in the Emmaus Road story (Luke 24:23ff), the disciples did not immediately recognize the risen Lord. They had heard rumours that Jesus had risen from the dead, but they weren’t sure, and it certainly had not penetrated their hearts. And I was thinking this morning that this is a quite accurate way to describe my own situation for the first twenty plus years of my Christian walk.

The Lord never promised that the Christian life would be easy, and at some point it became clear that the pain of the various losses I incurred on this journey was either going to kill me or cure me. And it killed me for a while in the sense that for a time I had returned in part to my former dysfunctional way of dealing with things. This was not the life in all its fullness that you and I are promised (John 10:10b). But the Lord is patient, and kind, and even in His discipline (Hebrews 12:6) I felt loved and accepted. And I cried out over and over to Him to show me my part in putting to death the deeds and the desires of the flesh (Romans 8:13; Galatians 5:24). I knew, that when we do our part, He does His.

It took a long time, but He is not in a hurry, and I have seen Him do this in others. In particular I have recently been encouraged by the work He has done in a brother I would have given up on a long time ago. Yes, when we do our part however imperfectly, He does His. And my heart burns within me over and over as I, like the disciples on the Emmaus Road, spend time with Him morning by morning being still and knowing that He is God (Psalm 46:10).

Father, You are so faithful even when we are not. Thank You that as with the disciples on the Emmaus Road, You meet us in the losses of life! There is no one like You, none like You! Hallelujah. You give us salvation as a free gift! But life in all its fullness, costs us everything. It is worth it all, and I can truly say this morning that You have done all things well. I praise and bless and worship You my Saviour, my Lord and my God in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment