Thursday, April 12, 2018

My word that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void

Lying between the mystery and the tension of believing both that God is Sovereign, and that mankind has free will, is the question of what exactly is my responsibility in sharing the good news that Jesus Christ paid the penalty for our sin, in order that He might start the process of making us fit for the Kingdom. It is particularly difficult in our culture, which is so very, very hostile to the gospel.

At some level this hostility is understandable, since in many ways we the church have failed to live up to the high calling to which we are called. I meet so many people for example, who have been hurt by church. And at some level this is understandable too. I mean one of the functions of the church is to be a hospital for the sin sick, and we don’t suddenly become perfect the moment we are saved! And as the saying goes people who are hurt, hurt others. As I ponder the question of my responsibility this morning, I am reminded that I am to be always ready to give an answer of the hope that is within me (1 Peter 3:15). This does not mean that I should ram the gospel down somebody’s throat. And I need to be very, very careful when I am encountering defensiveness in those with whom I am seeking to share.

I am grateful to the Lord this morning, for bringing the verse at the head of this post from Isaiah 55:11a to my attention. You see I have this tendency to get frustrated with how little I am able to share with unbelievers. And the Lord is showing me this morning, that however little of the Word He speaks through me, it is enough. What is spoken will not return void to Him, but will accomplish what pleases Him, And it shall prosper in the thing for which He sent it (Isaiah 55:11b). So I am grateful to the Lord to know that He is Sovereign, so that when prompted to stop, to shut my mouth, I can simply leave the outcome in His hands.

Father, knowing that You might use words spoken through me to hold others accountable, is at times a heavy, heavy burden. And with Paul this morning I cry out “Who is sufficient for these things” (2 Corinthians 2:16)? But I come back again to the comfort of knowing that You are Sovereign, that You are in control, that You are God and I am not, Hallelujah! In Jesus Name Amen

1 comment:

  1. Hello Bro. Phil Heath. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I also blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well know you and about your burden to reach out to the people with the good news. I am reminded by your blog post that I need to do cease the opportunity to share the good news with others and the Lord as has promised will do the work of touching the hearts of people. I liked the prayer that you prayed at the end and I join with you in saying Amen. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 39 yrs in this great city OF Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have your young people come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the year 2018. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete